Several years ago we received a morning telephone call from a law firm client saying a client of theirs was being charged with 342 counts of civil and criminal wrongdoing by the Los Angeles City Attorney. The charges involved the leaking of PCBs while on the freeway. Two hours later the City Attorney called a news conference to announce the litigation filing. We were there. Three hours later, in our client’s office, we called our own news conference to counter the charges. The story dominated both local and national media for three days. Six months later all charges were dropped.
We have extensive experience working with law firms and organizations to provide PR counsel on litigation matters. In today’s digital world where rumors spread rapidly, having a media strategy is a critical part of overall legal strategy. Public opinion on social media often drives the narrative during trial. We can function as media spokespersons for our clients and/or provide behind the scenes strategy by writing statements and working the press to assure that media coverage of court cases is fair, accurate and balanced.
Just some of the types of cases we have work on include:
- Land use litigation on behalf of a mobile home park association
- Lawsuit filed against client Mitsubishi Motors for a crash resulting in the death of a teen driver
- Handled media for a major defense contractor when the Los Angeles City Attorney brought charges for improper disposal of PCB contaminants.
- Elementary school shooting case resulting in murder of one youth and incarceration of shooter
- Litigation involving two high profile entertainment-related organizations
- Represented a construction firm that worked with FBI on a case involving trade secrets violations of a former employee
- Represented international firm in hostile takeover attempt that required the approval of insurance commissioners in nine states
- A number of environmental and land use litigation matters
- Launched legislative campaign on behalf of a coalition of California-based corporations regarding the issue of Comparable Worth
- Announcement of legal victory by a legendary musical artist against former business manager